Monday, March 2, 2009

My Friends Don't Have Book Deals, But This Girl Does?


I feel a rant coming on but I'll try to keep the bitching to a minimum. Oh, who am I kidding? Lauren Conrad from reality show The Hills has a 'novel' coming out this June. It's about a girl who gets an intern job in L.A., winds up on a reality show and parties at all the trendy Hollywood clubs with her various loser sidekicks. Excuse me, but isn't that the entire premise of the stupid show she stars in on MTV? That scripted, fake snorefest that is supposed to pass for real life? She couldn't come up with anything more original? I assume it is ghost written and aimed at her rabid teenage fans. Never underestimate the buying power of the average teen with allowance money burning a hole in their pockets. What's next? A how-to guide on bisexual dating from Tila Tequila? Style tips from Flava Flave? Brody Jenner gets a three book deal on how to be a douche, manscaping and dating Playboy models?

I have some friends that are very talented writers (I'm talking about you, Yenta) who deserve to be published, who actually have something to say and write well thought out characters that they have bled and sweat over. They've paid their dues and they still aren't getting the recognition they deserve while this chick with a third grade vocabulary is probably going to make it onto the NYTimes best seller list. It makes me sick. Anybody up for a good old fashioned book burning this summer?

No comments: