Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy Pi Day!


Today is march 14th, 3.14, and because of that a bunch of nerds got together and declared it National Pi Day. Making the geekitude more complete is the fact that it is also Albert Einstein's birthday. Elizabeth Landau wrote an ode to Pi based on Don McClean's song American Pie. Here are some of the lyrics with a link to the rest of the song:

CHORUS:So why, why can’t I calculate pi
I just want to see the numbers 3.1415
And if that’s all, then let’s keep it alive
‘Cause my calculator seems to have died.
My calculator seems to have died.
Did you write the law of sines, or draw two perfect parallel lines
Without a ruler helping you?
Can you still use a protractor, or find just one imaginary factor
Of a polynomial of order 2?
Well I had a TI-83 when a great misfortune came to me
The screen began to blur — I couldn’t even find my curve!
I was a lonely teenage computer freak,
My pencils were chewed but my glasses were sleek,
And the future was looking pretty bleak
The day my calculator died.

No comments: