Monday, July 12, 2010

R.I.P. Harvey Pekar


First Lebron leaves, good riddance, and now I find out that Cleveland Height's favorite son died this morning at the age of 70. Someone over at Gawker joked that he was just trying to show 'king' james the proper way to leave your homtown- in a box.

I'm going to miss the sightings. Seeing him huddled over a book in the library, having him pull into the Zagara's parking lot next to me in his ancient sub-compact, and trying to eavesdrop when he was sitting with a group next to me at Phoenix Coffee House in Coventry. Even a friend that worked for the Yankees for years, and met unbelievably famous people, was excited to get a glimpse of the guy. Harvey took being an everyday curmudgeon and turned it into an art form.

My advice is to rent American Splendor or watch the Emmy worthy episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. It's one of the best half hours of television and the comic book aspect they inserted into it doesn't come off as the least bit hokey. You can watch some of it here-


No comments: